[Dailydrool] Conrad's diagnosis

Ann Hefner anniebh at acsol.net
Fri Aug 3 07:06:49 PDT 2012

Thanks to so many of you who offered advice and suggestions.  I had 2 long talks with the Con Man's doc yesterday.  He is quite certain it is degenerative myelopothy. If I understand it right, the fibers covering the nerves degenerate and the nerves can no longer conduct impulses. After thinking hard about this, we did see some of this before Conrad had his tooth pulled so it was not from the anesthesia, although that might have made it progress more rapidly.  He examined Conrad thoroughly and said it is not an inner thing which I hoped as there would have been a cure.  The progression will eventually go to his lungs and he will not be able to breathe. He gave him prednisone and said it will help for a while but the degeneration will continue to progress.  He is not in pain, but cannot put weight on his front legs, so he cannot use his wheels.  We will take him to the cabin this weekend and he can lay on the grass and watch the squirrels and gophers.  He has been such a trooper.
Ann, Art, Lacy, Wilma and Daisy and Conrad