[Dailydrool] Hoping for a little Drool

jolet at aol.com jolet at aol.com
Fri Aug 24 14:54:04 PDT 2012

I rarely post, but try faithfully to keep up, and like others who do the same, I always send thoughts and prayers, and laugh and cry regularly. I wouldn't write if I didn't feel that this was truly the place to turn to!

My girls are Rosemary and Veronica ("calendar girls" January 2, both BHRA rescues). Rosemary, who we guesstimated at about 14, left for the Bridge from home on Sunday. Early this spring she had surgery for liver cancer, they also removed her spleen because they found a tiny tumor during surgery. She was in good health overall at the time (otherwise I would not have chosen surgery) and came through phenomenally well. It was almost  stunning how quickly she got back to her old self, running, wagging, and always focused on luring me or literally pushing me from behind, into the kitchen. The vets felt that barring other health issues, she would continue onward. Then about a month ago she started fainting occasionally. We found that her heart was failing, with a very abnormal beat. Not something that could be treated other than a pacemaker and I decided not to do that. On Sunday, she did not feel well, and without going into detail, quickly faded away in the afternoon. I feel lucky to have been there, I would be much worse than I am now had I missed being with her for her last minutes, but needless to say, I am heartbroken. She was with me for 12 years, this was the week I brought her home, a frightened little thing when I got her. Watching her come out of her shell, she changed a little with every year, was special. She was unbelievably sweet.
Meanwhile, right after Rosemary was diagnosed with cancer, Veronica, about 13, who joined us 10 years ago, secretly sweet but aloof on the surface, a clown but with a "tough girl" side, developed a chronic cough, they wanted to scope her lungs and when they did blood work in order to see if they could sedate her, found that her kidneys are pretty bad. We are trying to maintain her with fluids and diet.She doesn't seem to feel well today, and I am asking for some drool so that she can hang in there with me a little longer, I just can't bear to lose her now, too.
It's been just me and them at home, and they truly are my furry children.  Like all of us, you know it's inevitable but the time goes just too fast. So if you could get the drool going, it would mean a lot to me.

Joanne
momma to Veronica and Rosemary ATB (painful to type those letters)

jolet at aol.com