[Dailydrool] Alpha?

J Marchlewski jan3luski at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 05:46:24 PDT 2012

Shortly after my sister failed fostering with Boomer, it was clear
that he was the Alpha.  At 8 months of age, he took charge of our
household.  Even when I had my shepherd, Boomer was still the alpha
dog.  In all honesty, Boomer was a bully towards the other dogs.

Boomer firmly had the Alpha role title until about a month before his
3rd birthday - that's when Dixie arrived as a foster.  Dixie's
previous owner used her as a puppy machine for more than 8 years.
Dixie was unlike all the other little old lady bassets that we've
fostered before.  She wasn't shy or one bit reserve.  Not Dixie.

Within 24 hours, you could sense something was brewing.  Boomer found
another dog willing and able to challenge him for his Alpha title.
After few lively debates with both parties sporting wounds, Dixie
became the Alpha and Matriach of the bassets.  Boomer isn't so much of
a bully anymore.  Dixie rules the household with an iron paw.  By the
way, my sister failed fostering with Dixie.

Don't think Dixie isn't a sweet old girl. She loves to snuggle on your
lap (our nightly routine). The old girl can still hunt in the yard for
wildlife.  Dixie wakes up each morning with a spring in her step.
When we fostered a little pup, Dixie took control of the puppy.  It
was a riot to see an old basset playing with a little pup.

Jan
Lady & Dexter