[Dailydrool] We don't wear collars, either.

Menzie Campbell menziecampbell at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 10:30:38 PST 2012

Time for me to add to the chorus of why we don't wear collars in the house.

A long time ago, when they were both young-uns, Hector ATb and Pw.
Annabelle ATB were wrestling.  Luckily, there were three people home
at the time.  Suddenly, I heard a weird noise.  So I looked over my
shoulder, and Hector had somehow gotten Annabelle's collar wrapped
around his lower jaw, and hung up behind his fangs.  She was
half-laying beneath him, and choking- that was the noise I heard.
They were both panicking, and pulling hard in opposite directions,
which was only making things worse.

Noel or I grabbed a dog apiece, but neither of us could get enough
slack in the collar to get it free of Hector's jaw, or slide it over
Annabelle's head.  It was a martingale collar, so there was no latch
to release it.  By this time, the commotion had drawn my sister to the
room;  she went for our poultry shears in the kitchen.  Thankfully,
those scissors were able to cut through the thick nylon of the collar,
but I tell you, it took me an endless few seconds to be able to wedge
the point of the scissors between Annabelle' s neck and the collar - I
couldn't even SEE it in the flesh of her neck at first.

So since then, none of my dogs wear collars in the house.  They are
all microchipped ( and REGISTERED, thank you Bev for emphasizing
that!), and we have those walk-through doggy doors permanently mounted
to block the front and back doors, and padlocked gates into our yard.

--
Menzie Campbell
Save a Life - Don't Shop, ADOPT!