[Dailydrool] The Commander; Santa Paws

Valerie vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 23 19:09:09 PST 2012

Bo, Commander in Chief of the Pacific Basset Feet COMMANDS. It is his special talent. When he wants something, he stands firmly and starts bellowing at the top of his lungs. everyone within earshot scrambles to do his bidding and make the noise stop. I usually go running to him and try to figure out what he is commanding me to do. If I do not do this quickly enough, his brother Harley comes after me, jumps in my lap and starts licking my ears until I go to meet Bo!s needs. Or my husband calls out, "Your dog wants something". Meanwhile Bo holds his stance and bellows. Or a neighbor calls out, "Is Bo okay?" This dog has me trained to a tee.Usually I can figure out fairly quickly what he wants. It is dinner time. Or he is licking his chops (wants a snack). Or he is in the yard (Nurse, I need bathroom assistance) . but today he was in the bedroom bellowing. after running through my usual repertoire of tricks to no avail, I lifted him onto the bed and lay down myself to think. and he went right to sleep. that's what he wanted. Bo Commands and I obey. what a pitiful state of affairs. thank goodness I do not try to make a living as a dog trainer.

the boys are looking forward to the arrival of the two-legged children and the arrival of Santa Paws. Harley is getting one of his favorite toy squirrels--he loves them beyond anything. these are little triangle puffs of fabric with a squeaker inside and a wisp of a fake fur tail--two dollars apiece at Petco and each squirrel lasts about a month with constant use. I should have stock in their company. nd Bo is getting a pair of Spider-Man diaper pajamas. I'm trying a new pattern, kind of a version of the Basset suit I made years ago out of a zip up hoodie child's sweatshirt. zips along his back. he sleeves of the sweatshirt are transplanted to make pants in the back. Spider-Man because that's what the sweatshirt had on it. I think the motif works well for him, though perhaps the Incredible Hulk would have been better.

Happy holidays to all. Val, Bo, anD Harley