[Dailydrool] aggressive Owen

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 27 17:42:43 PST 2012

We had a male basset who started being aggressive with John (dad slave). Only when I was around- any other time he would sit in his lap and love him. If I was around he would attack John and mean it! We tried everything- drugs, trainer, behaviorist, books. The point came where he had to be on a very short lead in the house with me holding it- or outside on a tie-out. He could not be loose if John and I were in the house at the same time. John is not a threatening person at all- we rarely even argue, so it's not that he was posing a threat to me. Anyway long story short- the day that he looked at my oldest son ( who was physically small for his age) with the same look he'd give John before attacking him- was the day I decided to set him free. I did have an offer of another drooler taking him in, but would not have been able to live with it had he ever actually bit a child. The change in our household was dramatic after. We hadn't realized how much tip-toeing we had been doing. The shell that Ms.Brandy had crawled into- until she came out of it. Sometimes you do everything you can- but there is no 'fixing' some issues. I am not saying that this should be your choice- I just wanted to tell of our experience. We didn't realize how upside down we'd turned our household trying to save him- when in the end the only way we really could, was to set him free from his demons.
Angelika