[Dailydrool] Re Un-reassuring call to Humane Soc.

clara at spiritone.com clara at spiritone.com
Fri Feb 3 05:31:22 PST 2012

This is not really basset related, but

About 15 years ago, i lived in a nice, quiet suburban neighborhood in
Portland, OR. Next door on my left was a rental. It belonged to a
special program of some sort so the people who lived there were always
well screened and nice. In my 10 years at that house, there were 3
families, both of whom were very friendly.  The middle family had 4 or 5
kids as I recall. One year they got the eldest child a dog for her
birthday.It was a young mixed breed from the HS. They thought it would
teach her responsibility and it was well looked after, until they moved.

I guess they were having trouble finding a home for it. They asked me,
but I already had 2 older bassets, so I said no. They asked the
neighbors on the other side and they said no, too. They also already had
a dog.

Well, they moved and the next day, we heard sad dog sounds from the
garage. yup, they'd locked her in & just left her, hoping the neighbors
would take her.  We were worried she didn't have food or water so we
broke the  door and got her some.  Poor thing was so confused.  We all
decided to call the police, who came pretty quickly.  We all agreed if
he asked us about the door we'd admit to breaking in, but he didn't. He
seemed to be a dog person, too, and we all believed he knew we had done
it.  He called animal control & waited til they came.  She went back to
the HS and I followed her online. She was very sweet & was rehomed
quickly.

I guess any lessons the daughter learned about responsibility went
right out the window with the parents' utter lack of responsibility.

To mamke this basset related,Lucy had me in stitches last night.  I
trimmed her toenails.  She doesn't like it but is pretty compliant. She
kept twisting & stretching towards the kleenex I drop the nail clippings
on.  When she could reach them, she ate them!

Drool to all in need.

Adrienne Gillespie, Fiona & Lucy