[Dailydrool] Another Vet day

Julie Canny julie.a.canny at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 15:42:04 PST 2012

We brought Poppy and Guinness back to the vet this morning.  Poppy was to
have her stitches removed (from the huge cyst).  Guinness was to have a
follow up to check his UTI status.  Anyway, both ended up staying all day.
 Poppy just didn't look good this morning.  Yesterday she joined the walks
but was much slower than usual, but her appetite is still huge.  Guinness
still had signs of an infection.  So Poppy had a chest x-ray and an
ultrasound.  Guinness had an ultrasound.  The visit at the morning was
rather hilarious as they had to get a sample from Guinness.  At 5 1/2
months he's very squirmy and doesn't like being held down.  You would have
thought there was a wounded bear in the room.  The vet compared getting his
pee sample to the fountain at the Belagio.  We had a nice chuckle over his
behavior.  Poppy was also due for blood work for the next round of chemo.
 While the blood work looked good, other signs didn't.  Her breathing just
isn't right and her color isn't good.
We picked the two of them up about an hour ago.  Jack took them home in the
BUV and I stayed to talk to the vet.  She sat me down and told me that the
ultrasound on Poppy revealed that her spleen was much worse than before and
that she had a "blister" on it with about a liter of blood in it.  Surgery
is out of the question and other than some herbal remedies there isn't much
we can do.  So she's home and quite tired.  Still willing to eat any food
put in front of her, but breathing terribly.  If this thing bursts she'll
go quietly.  So now we're going to take things day by day and have to make
the hard decision, unless nature does it for us.
Then, the second bomb, Guinness, my little 5 month old bundle of craziness
has enlarged lymph nodes in his abdomen.  They couldn't do any samples
because he's just too squirmy.  He's getting his big "operation" in 2 weeks
so we'll get biopsies done then.  The vet said that with puppies, these
things just happen and it could be nothing to worry about.
So any drool that can be flung our way would be appreciated.
Gallagher, my sensitive guy was happy to have them both home.  MacKenzie
was happy to see Guinness.