[Dailydrool] Food allergies

Jennifer Martin JMartin at wellscolibrary.org
Wed Feb 8 13:28:51 PST 2012

Beth,
There is absolutely no such thing as a hypoallergenic food.  Four of my 9 bassets have been allergic to fish.  Sometimes you get lucky and even though they are allergic to the protein in the meat, they can handle the fat so you can still give them fish oil for the mega 3 fatty acids.  Other times you are not lucky and the oil sends them into the stratosphere.  In that case, you can add flax seed oil if they are not allergic to flax, but every dog I have had that was allergic to fish was also allergic to flax.  Some of them could handle the oil, others couldn't.  I recently learned about hemp oil.  I am now using it in Beauford.  He is allergic to fish and flax and he can't handle the oils either.  He is doing well with the hemp.  I was getting it at the Health food store.  Then I found it on Amazon.  Yippee!  Oh!  Just a heads up, they can also develop wicked allergies to potatoes and green peas.  Sometimes it gets very difficult to find food.  They DO make some foods that have been changed on a molecular level so the dog can't be allergic to them.  As you might imagine, they are not exactly cheap, but they are a life saver for dogs with a tendency to develop more allergies, like the two boys I have now.  I feed one bag of lamb and rice and then a bag of Science Diet Z/D.  This in theory will keep them from becoming allergic to lamb or rice.  It also cuts my food bill down from feeding z/d every month.  Don't get me wrong.  I don't mind spending the money if I need to, but if I don't, I don't mind saving the money.  We rotate the treats and oil as well which also includes pumpkin and green beans which rotate.

Jennifer, momslave to Beauford and Bugsey (they just retested me and I get 2 shots like Beauford now!  I am SO happy.  More treats for me!)