[Dailydrool] My Pumpkin girl

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 8 16:49:21 PST 2012

My Pumpkin girl is almost 12.  She has had anal gland issues frequently.   A couple of months ago,  the vet tech said she sprained her hand trying to express the glands, and it took 3 people to get it done.  Pumps was impacted as a pup, and this was when she was still under the care of North Shore Animal League.  Those were the first and second times I heard complaints about Pump's difficult glands, although, it was remarked more than once that she was "full."
After the recent comment, I started Pumpkin on pumpkin.  I free feed, so I couldn't just drop it in a bowl and expect her to get it, so I served her a dish, and at first she ate it.  Then she got fussy, and I had to mix it with wet food, and I gave some to the others who are not fussy and eat off a spoon, just so they wouldn't feel left out.
The Vet, not the Tech, did the next expression, and she was still gritty, and she got almost daily pumpkin.  Also, the Pumpkin started getting gassy, and she started to lick the floors at night, so I backed off giving her the pumpkin less risk bloat.
Today, she got expressed again, and there was no comment of grit or struggle, and I verbalized my concern and reception checked with techs, and Pumpkin was just fine, not too full, easy breezy.
I will still give Pumpkin pumpkin, not daily, but I think it has helped her.  It is not an immediate cure, but it did seem to help her in the afterthought.
Just an opinion, and it is still in development.
Healing drool to all in need.
Jackie and the herd