[Dailydrool] Hard life but interesting

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Thu Feb 9 19:53:40 PST 2012

Regarding Sara who either had a mini-stroke or has (oops, almost forgot
again) Vestibular disease or syndrome... she's improving daily. That
being said, how many can relate to the following:

Because Sara was slipping, sliding and sometimes falling on tile
portions of floors, we dug out every carpet runner, scatter rug and
bathmat stuffed in our various rat's nests of storage spaces. Even that
didn't seem enough, so we ran (actually, we drove) to Walmart and bought
some more... Now almost every inch of slippery surface is "carpeted"
with a wild selection of colors and designs -- except for an 18" hall
corridor space the humans are supposed to use to get to the bathroom or
elsewhere.

Before I continue, let me remind you that the most dangerous things for
old people to have in their house (other than the bathtub) are scatter
rugs, runners and bathmats. So now we have two old people risking broken
hips because -- and you young whippersnappers may not know this -- old
people do NOT pick up their feet when they walk. They SHUFFLE. They
don't mean to; most of the time they don't even know they are. They
don't even know when they started walking that way.

Back to the 18" corridor of safety. Guess who walks on it and ignores
10,000 square feet of rugs (give or take a few feet). Guess how many
other dogs now consider the rug-redecoration effort to have occurred so
they would have new places to lie -- preferably stretched out to fullest
possible length, breadth and/or width?

And you thought YOU were a crazy dog person....?

Riche (trying to remember to walk very carefully)