[Dailydrool] ATOPICA

jfishel1500 at comcast.net jfishel1500 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 10 07:29:37 PST 2012

I am slave to Rusty who seems to be allergic to the world.  He will be 6 years old next week and ever since he was about 3 years of age we've been fighting what seems to be environmental and seasonal allergies.  He also eats a holistic grain-free diet.   Even though it's still Feb, I'm seeing signs  that the season is starting with him.  We've done many doses of prednisone, but as soon as he finishes the dose, the itchies come right back.  I've tried Benedryl and Zyrtec, and they don't work.  Last summer the vet put him on Atopica.  He's about 70 lbs so his dosage is 150 mg.   He still itched somewhat on the Atopica, but his skin issues did seem to improve.  There are two things with the Atopica that concerns me--first the cost of it is outrageous, and second, he got really sick to his stomach and would sometimes throw up.  I told the vet about the sickness and he recommended giving him the pills frozen after his food, and also to give him 30 mg of Pepcid AC before he eats.  Eventually he adjusted.  Now we're ramping up again for the season  with 150 mg every day for 4 weeks, and then hopefully I can cut back to only several times a week throughout the allergy season.  I stopped Atopica  from Nov through the end of Jan because he really didn't have any issues.   I really worry about the long-term side affects of Atopica. Even though it does seem to help,  I hate giving him something that makes him sick.  Has anyone else had experience with Atopica, and is there a good alternative.  Oh, I also run air purifiers in the house hoping that will have some good affect.