[Dailydrool] Finding good homes

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 11:55:06 PST 2012

As long as we are on the topic of Breeders and how to find a good one, try
being on the OTHER end!! LOL. I had one litter and 5 puppies, 2 males and 3
females. Naomi, Nigel, Coyote, Rottweiler and Llewis. Originally, I wanted
a show puppy and the owner of the stud got pick. Then we discovered Llewis
was badly malformed and so we knew we would be keeping him. That meant no
show puppy for me even though I kept staring at Nigel. (I ended up keeping
him, obviously.)
One woman started wanting a puppy before they were on the ground. Once they
were here she insisited on being bombarded with calls, pictures, stories,
etc. Oh man, did she want one of  these puppies.
Then one day she commented that they were very dark. I said yes, Daddy was
dark.( Daddy was the top Basset in Puerto Rico at the time.) (Mommy was
Zelda with 11 points, 3 to go.) (Zelda's Daddy was Mitchell who was
a Champion and had champion puppies out there)
Then she mentioned it again and again. Isent her another copy of the
pedigree and his photo (Daddy).
Then she said did I know that all Bassets who win have symmetrical white
collars?
Ahhhhhh why no, that's certainly news to me.
Yes absolutely and I see not one of yours is like that.
Nooo, they aren't.
Finally she wrote and said (and this I wll never forget---or forgive)
"Are you sure these are purebreds?"
I am not even going to try to explain how I felt or what I said to the
walls.
I wrote her back and told her to look elsewhere, that there were no puppies
in this litter for her.
The next day she got a puppy out of the newspaper.
People call and want to know if the puppies stay small.
People call and want to know if they may have both a male and female so
they can breed them.
People call and argue about the price.
People call who can barely say their names and want a puppy.
People call whose last puppy ran away, ran loose and got hit by a car, died
yesterday of PArvo, (because they were saving money by not vaccinating)
have no yard and do not want to walk the dog, work 13 hours a day and have
no provision for the puppy during that time, think heartworms are in the
dirt, have had lots of dog but never the "right one" so gave them to the
shelter, have 4 children all under two and ahalf, want a Basset because
they saw one on TV and think it was cute and that's all they know.
Every creepazoid known to mankind crawls out of the woodwork when you have
puppies. That any puppy gets a good home is nothing short of miraculous and
it is a horrible, nerve-wracking, mind-blowing job selling them.
One breeder told me: If the first question is "how much is it?" hang up.

Not for me. I loved doing it, but not for me.
MomPerson to Nigel (the non-show-show-dog) Llewis (by default) Conley and
Cooper