[Dailydrool] Glaucoma testing

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 11 05:41:32 PST 2012

Some time recently, I thought I read online that there was no test for glaucoma that allowed breeders to screen their dogs. Then Bev posted about it, so I went online again and found this article:

http://www.news.iastate.edu/news/2010/mar/grozglaucoma

It seems that when dogs are still young and haven't had the disease yet, this test can predict that they will get it. That's good news for people who get dogs from responsible breeders, but it's good news for the dogs too, since preventatives are available, allowing a dog to have about five more years of sight.

Our foster who isn't going anywhere, Dexter, has glaucoma, so I am keenly aware of this issue.

I guess this just shows me that I have to be careful about what I read on the Web. Thanks, Bev, for making me check it out. And here's hoping that Nigel will soon be feeling good again. The Dashing Bassets are slinging drool in his direction.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets