[Dailydrool] Socially responsible Droolers

jstewart jstewart at pixius.net
Mon Feb 13 17:09:15 PST 2012

I first wrote  this missive back in November, but discovered I was no longer a member of D.D. But now I'm back in the fold & here is my little story;
Well it is late Fri. p.m., & I am happy as Ole Boots with a bag of catnip.  I have just returned from a fun & educational evening with our local K-9 search team while they trained to find missing persons.
While there, I met a delightful basset, Shadrach, & his handler, Scott Rolik.  Shadrach is your typical typical gregarious basset.  However he is not just your typical lovable companion pooch, as most people, I think, consider bassets.  Shadrach is also a true "professional" as well.
Shadrach started his career learning basic obedience.  He & his family were new to the Wichita, Ks. area so Scott was looking for ways he & his canine companion could serve their new community, when Scott learned of the local Sedgwick County Emergency Management Canine (SCEMK9)Search Team.  The team includes canine teams that search for missing persons by means of trailing, area/wilderness searching & human remains/cadaver detection.  Shadrach started his career 1st as a trailer & then as a cadaver dog, where he really found his niche.
Shadrach is the only basset in this K-9 unit &  Scott states that Shadrach performs very well as a cadaver dog.  He has a strong hunting & work instinct & is energetic on the job, all qualities one should look for in a potential search dog.  But according to Scott, he has a disadvantage of less agility in rugged areas due to his build.  Shadrach is being retired from cadaver work due to a back injury incurred over the course of his work.  But Shadrach is not hanging up his service tags just yet.  He plans to continue to serve as good will representative & to give demonstrations on the work of cadaver dogs for his unit.  Shadrach is also certified as a therapy dog where he can spread his good nature during visits to nursing & retirement homes.
Scott is not yet looking for a replacement for Shadrach, but gives these tips in what to look for in a search dog.  He suggests looking for traits as mentioned above, plus having a long snout(more smell sensors).  He also suggests some games to play with the dog prior to formal training.  These include hide & seek games, starting with "peek-a-boo", puppy run-aways with family members & games in which treats or toys are hidden & the dog receives lots of praise for finding them.
Scott says if one is interested in K-9 search work, one could look on the web under that topic & look for one in their area, or contact local emergency groups, ie police, fire, EMS or local office of emergency management.  In conclusion, Scott says that his next search dog would probably not be a basset due to their build, but that each dog should be evaluated on individual merits, [& the job].  I am submitting this article because I feel that many times we tend to look at our bassets as only lovable companions, (one of their most important qualities) & we  forget that they were originally bred as working (hunting) dogs that can still function as performers of serious work.
Note: Since writing this piece, Freckles (my 13 yr. young droller) & I have attended a session about companion dogs & we plan to enroll in classes @ the beginning of the next session.  Respectfully submitted, along with salutes,& valentine wishes for all you droolers & slaves who are out there spreading "Good Will" wherever you are.