[Dailydrool] More on Westminster and Rescue Dogs

Marie28443 at aol.com Marie28443 at aol.com
Tue Feb 14 13:46:46 PST 2012

This is from an email I received last  night:  It's long but it's worth
reading.

In case you missed this  article in today's paper, I wrote this to send for
your information.    I think you may find this as heartless on the part of
Westminster officials as I  did.

I was shocked to read the Associated press article,  NY,   stating that
Westminster will totally drop any ads on adoption, rescue, or  anything about
dogs in shelters whatsoever.    They will show  dressed up dogs and their
owners instead.  They say, "Pet lovers won't have  to look away anymore when
those heart-wrenching TV ads appear during the dog  show -- the ones with the
pitiful little faces peering out from behind those  rusted bars of a cage
and wondering how did I end up here".     Westminster says they, "made the
decision to shift the focus away from sad-eyed  animals in need of adoption".
  They say, "gone will be  the woeful pictures of dogs with pleading eyes
wasting away at the pound hoping  to be adopted".  The Westminster spokesman
and longtime TV host David Frei  said the primary audience said those
commercials made them want to turn the  channel.  He said seeing puppies behind
bars took away from the show  because it was "not their message".   This
article is in the
Sunday  paper, today, and the Westminster Dog Show starts tomorrow.

Pedigree was  booted as the sponsor, and Nestle Purina is now the sponsor.
  I  remember Nestle,  they were, and may still be, importing ingredients
for  dog food and still sourcing from China.   We remember that animals  died
when trusting owners fed their beloved pets that food.     The Pedigree
sponsor said Westminster thought Pedigree was too focused on  adoption,
although 4 million dogs get put in shelters each year and few make it  out.   I
would never feed my rescued dogs Nestle Purina because of the  ingredients, and
same with Pedigree.  My rescued dogs get the best, and  they always will.
They are from death row and from abusive and  tortured circumstances.  My
dogs are as deserving as any dog on the planet,  and if abandoned dogs facing
death in shelters are not worthy of being on  commercials to remind people
that they are there,  I don't know what dogs  would be more worthy!

So Westminster doesn't think people should have to  view helpless,
desperate and needy dogs who can be adopted and  saved!   That is too hard for
people watching a dog show to be  subjected to,  they might be reminded that
there ARE deserving dogs who are  on hard times and may die?     Some dogs,  so
unfortunate to be in shelters facing death, are just as pedigreed as the
dogs in  the dog show, and many are mixed, but nobody watching that show
should be  reminded of them?  WE ARE REMINDED DAY AND NIGHT, and our hearts
break, and  there is never enough help.   We NEED help.  People NEED to be
reminded!  Many dogs died daily, thousands,  and we beg for help for  them.
Westminster has no concern for these dogs and eliminates  them from the show
commercials because viewers might have compassion for little  desperate
shelter dogs, or feel sorry for them?

The dogs we work for,  that we save or can't save, those worthy dogs, who
are wonderful, hopeful and  trusting, they can't be viewed because that might
detract from the Westminster  glitter?

The Westminster Dog Show will take place February 13 and 14,  2012.     To
voice indignation  that there will be no  further comments on Westminster
Dog Show regarding  needs of shelter dogs,  which  will be eliminated, here
are the only addresses I found.   Others  can probably do more, and there are
those who are in publications,  with contacts, who write articles and who
are great in organizing  efforts.

I call to all who can speak out for our  helpless angel  dogs who are
loving, deserving, hopeful and trusting,  to help them receive  all help in every
aspect to save them.   That presenting them on  Westminster Dog Show is now
dropped, and that they are shot down as unworthy to  be acknowledged, makes
my blood boil, and I am totally outraged and beyond  disgust for
Westminster persons responsible for this.

Here is information  for contact and for comments:

-Public relations & publicity, Media  Information Forms, media contact,
credentials:
David Frei
Director of  Communications
(212)  213-3212
david at westminsterkennelclub.org

-Tickets, vendors, hotels,  catalog advertising, merchandise:
Florence Foti
Director of  Operations
(212)  213-3165
florence at westminsterkennelclub.org

Premium Lists,  Invitations, Entries, Show Regulations
MB-F
www.infodog.com
(336)  379-9352
mbf2 at infodog.com
Questions or corrections regarding entries must  be submitted in writing to
this email address.