[Dailydrool] Basset rescue vs. Newf rescue

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 07:20:23 PST 2012

I think one huge reason that bassets end up in rescue is their stubbornness. People get tired of trying to make them obey; the puppies get to an age when they are rambunctious and destructive; and the people give up. On top of that, you have extended potty training on a basset. How many people are willing to potty train for a whole year, if necessary? Maybe some who could accept the stubbornness are fazed by the potty issues. Bassets frequently end up in rescue when they are a year to a year and a half old, and I think it's a combination of these two issues--maybe even more the pottying issues than the stubbornness. At one point I had two fosters, pretty much back to back who were wonderful youngsters except for the pottying issues.

Basset puppies are a real challenge. Our Jane was so bad that I swore off puppies. I leave them to those of you who are more patient with chewing and counter cruising. Not that Jane didn't become a very well-behaved basset eventually, but training isn't really my strongest point. I appreciate getting a dog that's calmed down a bit and usually has some training. Now I just fine tune that end of things.

When I was a kid, we had a huge black dog. If I were stronger, I'd probably own a Newf, but it surely wouldn't be wise at this time in my life.

I also wonder if there just are more bassets out there to be rescued. It takes commitment to own huge dogs and pay their bills. If not as many people want to raise them or buy them, the rescue numbers would be smaller.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets