[Dailydrool] Sister Anna ATB 2/16/12

AWoodrum awoodrum at clear.net
Thu Feb 16 20:16:17 PST 2012

This morning I took Anna into the Vet and we let her go.  She had been going
downhill the last month, and something, I don't know what, happened
overnight.  Early this morning I'm asleep, and a small little noise woke me
up.  It was an odd noise from far off, and immediately my thought was that
Anna must be stuck on her side again, so I hopped up and went looking for
her.  She wasn't in the house at all, so I looked out the window of the
office/sunroom where she normally slept in her favorite bed, and she was
laying on her side on the patio, paddling her legs and barking.  She had
fallen off of the ramp and couldn't get up, so I ran outside in my jammies
and got her up, but she couldn't stand, one of her front legs kept
collapsing.  Picked her up and got her in the house.  Long story short, she
could barely stand, was blind, had scraped her front leg, back leg and tail,
was terrified, and didn't want to eat.  So I called the Vet and made an
appointment for 10:30 AM.

One of her favorite foods (Anna loved all food except bell peppers) was
lunchmeat, sliced ham, which we usually had as a treat in the evening, so I
decided that would be her last meal, and she had two nice large pieces.
That perked her up and she was walking and following me around wanting more
food, and I thought maybe I should cancel the appointment.but decided to go
change and think about it.  Went into the bedroom and put on a clean shirt,
came back out to the den and there was a huge puddle on the floor and Anna
was walking into the den wall, she couldn't find the door to get to the
sunroom and the pet door.  Not a good sign.  So I went into the kitchen and
got a bunch of paper towels to clean up the mess and when I came back in the
den she was walking into the furniture.  So we kept our appointment with the
Vet and let her go.

If she had only lost her sight we could have dealt with that, but when you
added in all the pain she was in, and how she kept falling down the last
week, plus getting stuck on her side and not being able to get up, it was
just too much, she kept hurting herself and I didn't want her to get hurt
and frightened any more.  If I had seen even one sign that she was improving
I would have tried to see if we could make more adjustments to keep her
safer, but she was getting worse, not better.

So very sad, she was a dear, sweet girl, and wow are we all missing her
tonight.  I cleaned and refilled the water bowl a while ago, it was always
slimy because Anna was a slimer.  Never thought I'd miss changing slimy
water, but I already do.  Good night sweet Anna girl, we love you and we
miss you.

Anita Woodrum

awoodrum at clear.net