[Dailydrool] Not sure

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 03:51:24 PST 2012

I haven't personally smelled the hound in question but since the owner has
had many Bassets and is a highly alert owner and well-versed in Bassety
smells and shennanigans as well, I have to assume when she says the dog
(bitch in this case) stinks, she REALLY STINKS and it is something other
than the normal hound smell.
Hounds smell because they have extremely oily coats so that they may hunt
in a all kinds of weather without problems. Over the years we have stripped
away their natural odor by bathing and pouring (what they consider)
offensively stinky colognes, perfumes and flowery shampoos.
I rarely bathe our dogs and they all smell "doggy" from time to time and
when it rains and they all come in wet it smells like a thousand wet wool
coats.
The standard describes the coat as a:

"Close, hard hound coat of medium length. DEFECTS: -- a short, thin coat or
of a soft quality"

So those of us who strive to have our hounds soft and silky are stripping
out the natural oils, and if your hound has a naturally soft and silky coat
you might want to have his or her thyroid checked.
It doesn't mention odor, but Bloodhounds share this trait of short, hard,
oily coats.

MomPerson to Nigel (softcoat & on thyroid meds) Llewis (proper coat) Conley
(in between) and Cooper (Don't touch my coat. I am not a Basset.) (You
should see what she did to me before shows!!!