[Dailydrool] trembling

Karen M. sparks_red at att.net
Sat Feb 4 09:58:53 PST 2012

If one of the gang is acting off and trembling for long periods for no known reason,
I take their temp. (Normal range 100.5 to 102.5)  If they are below the normal range
they will be covered and I will take the temp every 1/2 hour.  If they are 103 or higher
and shivering, I know their temp is on the rise and out comes the cool cloths on the
tummy and in the pits.  If it continues to rise out comes the ice packs until I can get
them into the vet.  For we humans use an ice pack to the back of the neck as well.
No matter how pathetic our loved one looks or whines, never put a blanket on them
when they have a fever.  For we humans the most we should have on is very light clothing
(or none) and nothing but a sheet.

The mammal body has some of the greatest abilities nature can provide.  If the temp is
sub-normal the body shunts the heat inward to the internal organs, the skin is cool and
the shivering starts.  If there is a fever the body does just the opposite and the shivering is
one of the mechanisms the body uses to shunt the heat away from the internal organs so
it will exit through the skin.  Though the body is hot a person of their kidz can feel chilled
when the heat dissipates and the cooler outside air hits the skin.

We send Drool to all in need,
Karen and The Dog House Gang
With Tucker and Bazzle watching
over us from the Rainbow Bridge