[Dailydrool] papers

Tim Mayer tcm541 at embarqmail.com
Thu Feb 16 21:03:15 PST 2012

Beverly, you're right of course - everyone is entitled to his or her opinion
regarding AKC papers. I can clearly see both sides. On one hand, there are
good breeders trying to better the quality and health of their favorite
breed, and on the other hand there are puppy mills and others only concerned
about "the papers" to sell their dogs for a higher price. In a perfect (or
just better) world, the AKC would be more involved in determining if the
breeders are doing what's best for the breed. I really don't think that will
ever happen, but the organization certainly has its place.

About 12 years ago, (a year or so before I got my basset Maggie d'Earest,) I
looked to the local paper and found a sheltie. That was my fourth sheltie.
Two of my previous ones had papers, and were of fairly good breeding. In
fact, Freckles (Freckles RLove Dazzler of Pow) had won several shows before
the breeders decided to let me have her. They had decided to close the
kennels. She was a doll - and I really love shelties. So I figured the other
local breeders would be doing just as good: boy, was I wrong. Dreamer's AKC
papers revealed some very sloppy breeding. And that bad breeding probably
was the cause of the heart problems that ended Dreamer's life earlier than I
would have expected.

All this was before I learned (through getting connected to the Drool family
here because of Maggie's issues) that there are more important things than
papers. Maggie, and all my dogs since, have been rescues. So my mind is
changed. But I also realize that not everyone is going to feel the same way
- everyone's experiences and backgrounds are different.

But mostly I hope we can all remain civil in our discussions. We should
respect and accept each other's position on the subject. That doesn't mean
we have to agree, but beating each other up certainly won't change any
minds, after all <grin>

Tim -n- puppies
Maggie d'Earest & Leia Round