[Dailydrool] Problems with Dyson vacs

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 6 06:43:46 PST 2012

I have loved my old purple Dyson since the moment I got it. But I understand why some people say it doesn't vacuum well. Sometimes those nasty things that find their way to the floor get caught in its system. That's why you can take this vacuum apart, clean it out, and put it together again!

If the suction seems to be weak, I pull it apart (you should find which parts come off in the manual that came with the vacuum) and check to see if a lump of fur and whatever is blocking the way. If the hose is blocked up, I take a straightened-out wire hanger with a small hook bent into the end and clear the path--be careful with that hook, so you don't cut into the hose. In short order, the Dyson is suctioning up everything but the dogs!

I love the Dyson because it has good suctioning power and because there's a way to clean it out pretty easily. It's the only thing that keeps my house within a yard of respectability.

Oh, and if you don't want the yuckies on the floor, take a large plastic bag. Put the entire round tube that holds the yuckies into the bag. Release the trigger. Shake a  bit if necessary, while the tube is still in the bag. Remove the tube part, if necessary, to get at anything left on the purple thing in the middle. Voila! No mess. Tie up the bag. Toss it out in the garbage. Put the tube back together. You don't have to waste time or money on getting and buying bags.

The only less-than-perfect part is that my Dyson vac is heavy. Perhaps some of the newer models weigh less. If Dyson hasn't worked on this problem, they need to. But a really well-built, sturdy machine is likely to be a bit heavier than the cheap knockoff.

I was told by a vacuum guy that you can buy those cheaper copies of the Dyson but that they are not likely to keep the suction as well (maybe they can't be taken apart and cleaned). I have never had my Dyson repaired or tuned up, but if the machine didn't work, I'd take it in for a tune-up.

I guess you either love a Dyson or don't. Mine is so much better than the previous vacuums I had that I hope it lasts forever--or until Dyson has a lighter version that I can afford.
Pam, food slave to the very furry Dashing Bassets