[Dailydrool] Expanding on Dale's idea(long)

Vickie Zehring bubadog at comcast.net
Fri Jan 6 08:43:51 PST 2012

 I thought it would be a good idea if I shared some things I've learned along the way: 1. It is unfortunate that the Basset Hound today has such a high incident of cancer.I can guarantee , that if you have not had to deal with cancer yet, at some point ,you will, as long as you have Bassets. Learn where your dog's lymphnodes are,one under each side of the neck (like where your Dr.feels for yours),one on each side of the arm pits,and one on each rear leg midway up  the back of the leg., Check these occasionally, more often if your dog is older,(5 years and up), if they are enlarged your dog may have something as serious as cancer or just an infection. Practice feeling them so you know what is normal then you will know if they are ever abnormal.The easiest ones to feel are the ones on the rear legs above the hocks,they feel like little lima beans.  2. Know what a normal temperature is for a dog. 101' to 102.5' Use a rectal thermometer,unless you have one of the ear thermometers. 3. Never,never allow a sick dog to get vaccinations.Tell your Vet to wait till the animal is feeling better then he may have them.To give them will only compromise an already compromised immune system. 4. Keep Kaopectate,and Imodium handy to help with diarrhea and upset stomachs.Pepto-Bismol is ok too, but, BEWARE ! you will be wearing the pink stuff and the walls will be splattered as well. If you can, use a 5 cc syringe,without needle, of course , fill the syringe with Pepto or Kaopectate put into the corner of the mouth while holding the jaw partially closed,squirt quick, and stand back. You should be able to get more in than out. Once every 12 hours.If they are still vomiting or have diarrhea after 24 hours ,see a Vet. 5.  Peroxide should be on hand in case your dog ingests something he shouldn't,like chocolate, anything else call poison control ,there are substances you should not induce vomiting for since it can cause damage on the way back up.   At some point I can probably add more or others can add as they see fit but this should help. I am not a Vet ,I have worked for Vets in the past but much of this I've learned from raising puppies, just having dogs in general ,and from good breeders in my past. Not all Vets know Bassets well, if yours doesn't, teach him the quirks of the breed, he'll be better off for it.  Vickie Zehring