[Dailydrool] Home at last

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 10:45:20 PST 2012

After all the shenanigans of the past 2 years, we have finally moved into our new home.

Rolph and Clara are delighted with it - especially the wonderful walks we can take in the nature reserve which is just 50yards up the road. But even better than that is the garden. It is full of shrubbery with hidden nooks and crannies.

At our old house, they never bothered going out in the garden for anything other than potty duties. In the rental, despite it having a nice lawn, it was the same. But now they are asking to go out every half hour or so.

The other thing they love about the garden - or more accurately, Rolph loves about the garden, is the pond. He considers it his personal drinking bowl and has found ways of reaching it for a slurp. Now Rolph is a bit of a water baby and I have no doubt that come the warmer weather he will also be trying to stand in it to cool off - and here is the problem. It is about 4ft deep in the middle and has a shelf about 2ft deep. But the sides are sheer and he will not be able to get out.

Does anyone have any inexpensive ideas for basset-proofing an 8ft square pond?

Sally, with Pw Rolph OEBE and Clara, in our new home, UK