[Dailydrool] BeBe ATB

Randee White randeewhite at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 31 12:25:50 PST 2012

I had to wait a while to post this.  For some reason this post has been the most difficult to think about.  BeBe wasn't my heart dog but she was my baby.  In the warmer months of the year, she would sit in my lap while I relaxed in the Lazyboy in the sunroom and read a book.  She was my talker.  I picked her up from a shelter when I was working for Bluegrass Basset Rescue.  She was already 4 or 5.  She had the most mournful eyes I had ever seen and always won the prize for most mournful looking at rescue picnics.  Over the course of 2 years she was adopted and returned 3 times.  Twice because she was so noisy (I told you she was a talker) and once within an hour when she peed in the house, escaped theough the back door and had to be forcibly dragged out of the pricker bushes where she hid.  When I returned for her, it looked like she was laughing at me.  The third time she came back, she had been free fed, gained about 10 lbs, and was
 tormented by the resident pug until she finally snapped and retaliated.  When I got her back she was depressed and it took 3 months to see my BeBe's personality return.  I swore she would never have to leave me again.  I know it sounds as though we didn't research the people who adopted her but we did and I can respond to those comments off line.  BeBe followed me everywhere.  In her later years, though she was completely deaf, she would wake from a sound sleep to follow me out of the room.  She became totally deaf several years ago but would respond to hand signals.  She had a stroke once when I was out of town but by the time I got home, much to the surprise of the vet, she was back to her usual self.  Three years ago, she went down in her back.  She never lost the mischief in her eyes and her commentary never slowed so we had accupuncture and back she came.  She was like the energizer bunny.  She still met me when I got home from work
 every day and told me all the news.  She still came running at meal times and she still had that glint of mischief in her eyes.   She became incontinent about a year ago, and acted confused once in a while and I knew she was slowing.  The vet thought she was probably between 14 and 16 and I always said that when she no longer participated in life, I would let her go.  I realized last week that she wasn't really talking any more.   She wasn't finishing her food first, in fact I had to help her with her last meal.  Sunday morning 1/22, she was very restless.  I would get her settled and she would relax and then suddenly be breathing heavily and groaning.  I knew the time had come and so we sat on the couch for a couple of hours together until the vet opened.  I took my BeBe in, and the vet felt a large mass on her spleen.  She was hardly responding at that point.  I held her and told her all about the Bridge and that she would meet Elder
 Clara.  She knew all about Elder Clara because we talked about her a lot over the years.  BeBe was the matriarch in our house and kept all the young ones in line.  I am comforted knowing that she is probably giving Elder Clara a run for her money, has devoured the entire buffet several times already and has a spot somewhere she can find the toilet paper; her favorite nonfood edible.  I'm also quite sure that she timed her arrival to coincide with the party that is planned for the opening of Main Street.   RIP BeBe.  Till we meet again.

Randee and the White House Gang
Dan the Man
BooBoo Dog
Bones