[Dailydrool] odor

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 8 06:13:07 PST 2012

Hi Jacqueline,
    I think this is definitely a veterinary issue.  If the odor you are describing seems related to genitals and reproductive issues and she has been spayed then something else critical is going on.   Once a dog has been spayed there are no organs left to discharge an odor unless your girl is having either an annal gland problem or a serious skin issue.  Could she be leaking urine?  That sometimes happens to females after they have been spayed.  Your basset really shouldn't have a horrible odor about her at all unless it is the usual oily hound kind of smell.  Bacterial skin infections smell awful--really rancid.  My Beau smelled like that after I adopted him from animal control but once he was put on antibiotics and medicated shampoo, he quickly became odorless.  I would definitely have your girl examined by the vet to determine what is going on.  Please let us know what you find out.  I wouldn't bathe her first either before taking
 her in so the vet gets the full affect of what is going on.
Hope this helps.
Yours in Bassets,
Marie Campbell
Man Plans ~ God Laughs