[Dailydrool] Advice for a senior

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 01:22:03 PDT 2012

Here in the UK we have one basset rescue that covers the whole country, run entirely by volunteers.
We (the volunteers) are not allowed to 'advertise' the ones needing homes on the internet. I am not starting a discussion about that, but as this is a private list I hope I'm not stepping over the mark asking for advice.
Right now, in my 'patch' we have five dogs we are trying to rehome, from a 10-month-old pup, through to a 9-year-old senior.

I would like some advice about the senior. As I say he is nine, he came into rescue three years ago and was rehomed to a man. Apparently, he will not settle at night. He fidgets, huffs and puffs, gets up, walks around - and barks. His adopter's partner can't cope with the lack of sleep, so he is back to us to find another home. Apparently his discontent has got worse since they adopted a second hound 18months ago.

We all know rehoming a senior is not easy. Rehoming one who keeps you up all night .... well I can see it being an even bigger issue.

But somewhere at the back of my mind I remember something like this being discussed on the Drool. Does anyone have any ideas how to get this old boy to settle at night. I believe he is allowed to sleep in the bedroom with the owner and the other dog.

Any ideas anyone? Please.

Sally with Pw Rolph OEBE and Clara, who both sleep like logs