[Dailydrool] Allergy update/Atopica use

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Sun Jun 3 10:54:28 PDT 2012

Happy Sunday to all.  I just wanted to give a quick update on how Ruger is doing with his allergies, in hopes that this might be helpful to another drooler and their slave.

As you may remember about a month ago Ruger had a bad bought with his allergies.  (Something in the yard that comes out in the heat of the year that breaks out the bellies of both hounds) Colt does very well, at least this year, with DEOCON (wet cloth wipe downs everytime they come in from being out in the yard) and Cetirizine (generic zyrtec bought at SAM's, 400 tabs for about $35.00).  However Ruger broke out twice even with DECON and Cetirzine.  1st round treated with a vet visit, steriod injection and a round of prednisone.  (I hate using Pred...but will if need be) Round 2 I started him on the extra pred the vet had given me since it was on a weekend and called the vet 1st thing Monday to ask about starting Ruger on Atopica as we had discussed at the first visit.  He agreed and Ruger is just finishing his loading dose month. He hasn't had a break out, not even any readness since starting the medication. Next week he will start phase 2 of the loading dose and be moved from 1 capsule a day to 1 capsule every other day for 30 days.  After that he will move to 1 capsule twice a week.  I am very pleased with this medication so far.  Ruger is happy, no scratching, no redness and no breakouts. Plus he is not a zombie dog like he was on the hydroxine or atarax, and he is not a starving marvin or a pissy pup like he ws on Pred.  The only draw back to this medication is the cost. 30 count of Atopica 100mg was $150.00 (ouch) But the good news is that  it has totally helped him and Doc said that if he does well we can try cutting the Atopica dose and adding Ketaconizole which works synergistically with the Atopica this way considerably lowering the cost of the medications.  Ruger has 5 more days of initial loading dose left, so I will be calling the vet tomorrow to refill his prescription and start phase 2.  I'll let you all know how it goes. Even if we don't get to lower the dose/cost this medication is worth the money...It has helped my boy out sooo much.  However he might have to get a real job to help pay for it. lol

I've seen post by other droolers that have mentioned using Atopica....What is your exerience with it?  Has it helped?  Were you able to lower the dose of Atopica by adding in the Ketaconazol?
Hope this helps...Something to think about.  I know that there are several droolers out there like Maggie Wags and a few others that suffer from the summertime allergies.

Michele Momma to the Bad A** Basset Brothers
Colt "Cool Cloth on my tummy please"
Ruger: Who is a happy boy because he isn't itching anymore.

Women are Angels...And when someone breaks their wings..They simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...They are flexible like that...