[Dailydrool] grass and picky eaters and BP...

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 19 04:35:20 PDT 2012

Debbie- loads of drool coming for your grumpy guy- BP?? who'd have thought? Perhaps this has been the issue all along with him~ my mom's Curly took those meds ( he had a genetic heart condition) and they improved his life.
Grass~ we live a bit in the boonies. Lots of grass and weeds here. Everyone chows down on it. Over the years I have found, that if they really want it- you won't stop them from eating it. Even Ms.Brandy who was not fond of veggies in general, would have her 'salad'- a blade here, a leaf there. You can control it a bit by keeping the grass cut and the weeds whacked down. Here they go for the taller rough grass- but they nibble on other weeds as well.
Picky eaters~ in general they are made-not born that way. I'm not pointing fingers... I had one of my own for many years. Bought every kibble on the market ( and gave most of them away because she wouldn't eat them more than once). I dressed her bowl with enticing tidbits. Dogs will not starve themselves my vet said- she went 5 days without eating... she was stubborn! I went back to 'dressing' her food to get her to eat. Not all bassets are food hounds. If you have a picky one- offer the food and take it away if not eaten after 15 minutes. Don't offer extras! Offer again at the next mealtime- and repeat as needed. Most will eat by day three. A vet check is a good idea as well- a cracked tooth can be misery. Arthritis of the jaw can make chewing painful. There are many physical reasons that can be the cause. Bassets are very smart if you haven't learned that yet! If you put down the boring food that they really don't care for and they know you will 'better it up', well they'll just wait to see what you have to offer. Once they learn that the bowl is as good as it's going to get- and it will be taken if not eaten, they learn to eat mighty quick.
I got a laugh out of reading about Mighty Hercules still hanging in there... Happy 15th Old man!! It has been nearly four years since I brought Elvis home for what I didn't think would be long. He'd lost the use of his back legs. Still hasn't got those back. It's been nearly two years since he was diagnosed with Lymphoma. We recently started seeing a new vet- after hearing Elvis' history the vet asked if there was anything he hasn't had. I laughed and told the vet I didn't think so, but if there was something to please not let him know as he'd probably get it. He will 14 in a couple of months. I can see he is slowing down- but he still enjoys his meals, loves having the girls here with him ( he's a pack dawg kind of guy) and can still WOOF at the stray c at ts... his hearing is going, the eyeballs don't see all that well anymore- but he still enjoys his days of sucking up the sun on the porch.
Shelter challenge- my vote is for Bluegrass this time around and Missouri next time. Nothing mean meant by it- but Bluegrass can use the funds ( who couldn't?) and we all helped Missouri win the Pepsi challenge not long ago.
hugs your hounds- specially those old ones!
droolies, Angelika