[Dailydrool] Dogs with High Blood Pressure

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 05:19:53 PDT 2012

I have now had three dogs with high blood pressure that needed to be on
medication.  All of mine were seniors when they developed their high blood
pressure.  Actually, I say that.  I don't know that to be true.  When my
vet first got his equipment to test high blood pressure, he asked me to
schedule some extra time so he could practice on my dogs because they are
so calm at the vet's.  The two oldest at the time, had high blood
pressure. When it was all said and done, Bubbles required two drugs to
control her high blood pressure, even though it was initially lower.
Bismark only needed one even though I thought I was going to have a heart
attack when I saw how high it was (260).  When we rescued Elwood at age 7,
he had his blood pressure checked and it was high.  He required two drugs
to control it as well.  Bubbles had a stroke 6 months after we got her
blood pressure under control and she was 13.  I have no idea how long it
was high.  She kept having strokes for the next 6 months until we had to
put her to sleep.  Bismark was on the medication for 2 years and he
succuumed to an autoimmune disorder at age 13. He was also blind. Elwood
was on hydrolazine and enalapril from when he was 7 to when he died at 13.
He did very well on the drugs and once we got the dosage right he did
great.  He finally had to be put to sleep because his arthritis was so bad
he couldn't get up any more and he refused to eat.  I know my vet now
checks blood pressure at every yearly exam even though Beauford is 3 Bugsey
is 2 and Browyn is 7 months.  I am hoping if they develop high blood
pressure, we will catch it early and have great results like we did with
Elwood!
Jennifer, momslave to Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn