[Dailydrool] Brudder Jake Update

basetsavr5 at aol.com basetsavr5 at aol.com
Tue Jun 19 18:43:03 PDT 2012

Momma here, a update on Jake, he went back to the Dr tonight and seen another vet that is specializing with eyes and had another blood pressure check. Good news all around. No eye damage, heart is good, blood work looking good, and his pressure is now at 150.  What a huge difference on that, the big guy is off stroke level and the meds are taking over here. His skin is now a mess, he could compete with Maggie Wags--Doc has him on meds for this and 2 baths a week for the next few weeks. Jake has to go back in 2 weeks for another blood pressure check, and they showed me how to check his eyes that will give a clue on his pressure, and what to watch for if it gets too low. This will all be a watch and see process for awhile until we get the meds right, and looks like Jake will be on them the rest of his life. Why this happened we have no idea, and there is nothing that is indicating a issue, I wonder if he has had this for some time and it had to get to this point to be noticed.
If you wonder how they take a dogs blood pressure, well, on a basset with short legs, they take it at the base of the tail. When Elder Clara was alive, she had hers taken several times. She had a big bushy tail and they shaved it all the way around at the base. Jakes fur is short so they didnt have to shave him.
Jake is acting better, back to howling and barking tonight and it has been music to our ears here. I thank you all for the thoughts and kind words here. We will keep you posted. This has been one more thing about the hounds that we are learning together, Droolers ROCK!!!

Drool to all in need!!

Debbie Winchester
PW, OEBE Elder Clara,
Elder Sister Daisy, Brudder Jake