[Dailydrool] Hurricane Loki

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Mon Jun 4 06:30:09 PDT 2012

Kathy:
Some hounds settle down just fine as they get older. They never cause trouble, mostly obey, at least when they want to, never counter cruise, chew socks, or whatever. I have never raised such a hound, so I don't know how one gets them to be this way. Maybe someone else can tell you. Or maybe you know, since I know you've had plenty of hounds.

Our Jane, whom I raised from puppyhood, was not such a dog. She loved garbage, which is why our garbage lives atop our clothes dryer. I had to keep socks under control whenever I washed, since she invariably sniffed out any strays. TV remotes? She loved to eat them, and I stopped counting at six. I think she ate about eight before we learned to keep them out of her range.

Jane continued to be something of a live wire until eleven, when she ate the unidentified stomach object and had to have the surgeon pluck it out of her tummy with a scope that could grab such things. Even then, after a few years she started to grab some dangerous items.

Now that Jane is continuing her impishness at the Bridge, I no longer have to watch every sock and patrol the garbage. But I find myself wishing she were here, even if I did have to be on guard.

Loki may never change, but I know you are still glad you have him. Just give in to his training and don't leave garbage where he can get it. Believe me, if you didn't have him doing such things, you'd miss him.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets

PS All the hounds we've adopted have been those good dogs, at least most of the time. You miss them too, as I'm sure you know, but the imps always have a special place in your heart.