[Dailydrool] : Increasing aggression in Addison's dog

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sun Mar 18 06:21:11 PDT 2012

Our Elsinore Basset does not have Addison's, but we did have to put
her on prednisone once some years ago. I can't remember for what, but
I do remember very, very well that it made her extremely grumpy. She
had a real personality change on it. It seemed to me at the time that
she knew her reactions to things and people were completely
unreasonable. It also seemed to me that she was unhappy that she had
so little control over the way she responded, and that only made her
grumpier.

Elsinore's behavior was so unlike her, that I felt it had to be a
side effect of the prednisone. When she came off of it, she returned
to being herself again. Interestingly enough, she really didn't
experience the constant thirst/hunger and peeing that's the trademark
side effect of prednisone. She was just thoroughly unpleasant to be
around.

When I have to take prednisone for my sinuses I get horrible insomnia
the entire time I'm on it. Funny how it can affect different body
chemistries in different ways.

Elizabeth