[Dailydrool] Snoopy & Sister Daisy

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 15:55:08 PDT 2012

Gosh Dale, it sounds like Snoopy is trying to bloat or may be predisposed
to bloat. I have to tell you, if one of my girls looked like that, I'd be
doing the whole lights and siren routine to get to the vet! Yes, I do panic
over some things! You might want to go talk to your vet and ask about
tacking Snoopy's stomach or see if you should at least start him on a daily
regimen of Gas-X or pepcid or something. Honestly, I feel like you've been
very lucky and I'd hate to see anything bad happen to your precious Snoopy.
I've personally never had one of our hounds bloat but I'm armed and ready
and know exactly what to do and where to go if we even think that something
like that is happening (thanks to all of you Droolers! I had never heard of
it until I got on the DD!). You also might want to look at what you're
feeding him. We have gone to a grain free food for the Houndettes. Some of
the "natural" foods actually have a lot of grains in them that create gas
in the dog's bellies. I'm sure that the grains probably fall within the
heading of "natural" but I don't know that eating a lot of grains is a
normal thing for dogs. We went grain free primarily because our Suzy has a
very sensitive stomach and the natural foods with all the grains were
giving her rip roaring diarrhea so this was a good alternative. Actually,
all of them seem to be trimmer since they've been on the grain free kibble
too. We still throw green beans in Jersey's and Ginger's food just because
they like them but they don't really need to lose any weight at this point.
Plus they all get yogurt and carrots in their meals too but those things
don't seem to bother Suzy.

Debbie, our BaRCSE forever foster dog, Moe, was diagnosed with the same
type of cancer when he first came to us. Moe was half of our bonded pair,
Maggie and Moe, and both of them were very senior dogs when they came to
us. Well anyway, he lived for a couple more years very happily and in good
health with Maggie and their foster family right up until the end and I
don't think that it was the cancer that he finally succumbed to. Some of
the ideas that are being shared sound like terrific ones. I always worry
about toxins when we use people chemicals on our hounds so I would talk to
your vet about sun screen before you use it just to make sure there isn't
anything in it that will make Daisy sick if she licks it. Do they make a
sun screen specifically for dogs? That would be something to look into too.
It's impossible to keep the hounds out of the sun here in the south so let
us know what you find out! We also have a group of sunbathers in our house!

The Houndettes are slinging get well and heart healing drool to all in need.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger