[Dailydrool] bloating

Kr1204 kr1204 at aol.com
Sat Mar 31 08:16:31 PDT 2012

Many of you will remember that a year ago, I went through a week of hell with Crackers. I had switched him to a grain free diet about nine months earlier because his nose and sinuses were swelling. I had also started him on GasX as he getting more vegetable matter in the grainfree and he inhales his food anyway. He would usually belch about 20 minutes after eating and I could see his sides get smaller. Then one weekend he started throwing up small amounts of food so we went to boiled chicken which he seemed to keep down until Sun eve. Monday, he took a drink of water and promptly vomited it back up so off the vet we went. His temp was normal and he had just had a senior panel done two weeks earlier and it had been normal. Robyn said they would keep him overnight, hydrate him with an IV and an anti-emetic and see how he was in am. I got a call about 9:30 the next morning that he seemed fine and they were giving him some water and then food and if he held it down he could go home in the pm. Fifteen minutes later I got a panicked call from the vet nurse that Crackers had drunk about 2 ounces of water and promptly bloated right in front of them. Robyn rushed him the to OR and starting decompressing him with a needle while Chrissy called me for permission to operate. Robyn called me every hour with updates but his temp was down and he was not coming out of the anesthesia so we arranged to take him to the emergency vet about 15 minutes away. For four days he was there, his blood values off the charts, lethargic, (he actually stopped breathing twice and they had to resuscitate him but didnt tell me until much later). I visited him every day and while he would wag his tail, he just wanted to lay on the floor. Finally they told me that he might not make it thru that night and they would call me if something happened but would not do anything. The next morning the phone rang and my heart sank as I saw the caller id. The vet said, that Crackers had made a complete turnaround during the night, his bloodwork was fine, he was eating with gusto and had pulled out the NG tube and he could go home, I cried all the way there and there was my boy looking healthy. And two months later we journeyed to Mishgun with all our friends.
Moral of the story, a grain free diet and regular GasX is no guarantee they won't bloat. If they show symptoms even though they resolve themselves, seriously consider getting the stomach tacked.
And last year when this happened, Crackers weighed in at 26.5 lbs. Last week he weighed 53 lbs at his checkup! And he looks great and is looking forward to Mishgun.
Kathy with Crackers the miracle dog, Loki and Jordan

Kr1204
kr1204 at aol.com