[Dailydrool] Lateral ear canal resection and ear infections

J Marchlewski jan3luski at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 09:40:48 PDT 2012

I probably should have mentioned that Dexter is my allergy boy.  He
takes Atopica every day. He's also on special grain-free food.  I
monitor what he eats because of his allergies. Skin, anal glands, left
ear - all clear.  It's the right ear that will not clear.  While
Dexter's been suffering with this ear infection, we discovered he is
allergic to ketaconizole (sp?) - an ingredient in one of the ear
flushes prescribed by the vet.

As I told the vet yesterday, I will always get a second and third
opinion before any surgery other than a routine spay/neuter.  After
yesterday, Dexter will no longer be seen at that clinic. It's a little
bit of a sticky situation since my sister works at the same clinic.

For one problem or another, Dexter has been on some form of
antibiotics since last April.  I'm concerned that the long-term use of
antibiotics have made him resistant to them.

I've already scheduled an appointment with another vet.  I'm looking
for past experience with that type of surgery in case it is warranted.

Jan
Lady & Dexter