[Dailydrool] Grain free diets

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Thu May 3 04:26:53 PDT 2012

Grain free diets and allergies.  Well, I am sitting with two beautiful boys
that have severe food allergies and neither one of them can eat a grain
free diet.  Why?  They are terribly allergic to potatoes.  One is also
terribly allergic to green peas.  The key to a good allergy diet is a
limited ingredient diet.  That means one with just a few ingredients in
it.  These are not real easy to find.  Natural Balance makes a line of
L.I.D. foods.  Taste of the Wild has two foods that are limited
ingredient.  The thing is that you and the dog can be allergic to
ANYTHING!  No food ingredient is hypoallergenic!  All you can do is
introduce your dog to foods it hasn't had before and in today's world of
adding tons of ingredients to everything, this is getting harder and harder.

Beauford is mainly allergic to meats:poultry, duck, fish (but he can handle
the oil), venison.  But, he is also allergic to corn, potatoes. carrots, ,
flaxseed and kelp.

Bugsey is mainly my grain grain man.  He is allergic to: wheat, oatmeal,
potatoes, green peas, eggs, pork, and kelp.

Keep in mind that if your dog is allergic to a food allergen, it can't show
up in the shampoo either.  So, a lovely bath in anti-itch oatmeal is pure
torture for a dog allergic to oatmeal.  Blitzen ATB was very allergic to
oatmeal and I didn't know it at the time and I gave her a bath in an
oatmeal shampoo.  She ended up looking like she had a second degree sunburn
and I was crying in my wine.  I felt like a terrible mommy.

How bad are the boys allergies to potatoes?  I have to eat a gluten free
diet and I will not purchase anything with potato starch in it for fear the
counter cruiser Beauford will steal it.  Basically his throat swells shut
and his gums turn blue.  Then he can't breath.  It is VERY scary.

Jennifer, momslave to Beauford, Bugsey and Browyn