[Dailydrool] Bark collars

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 23 00:27:04 PDT 2012

I think bark collars do have a place in certain situations. Particularly when a dog's welfare may be at risk if the barking goes uncheked.

I had problems with neighbours a few years ago who claimed my dogs barked "all the time" when I was out. I also had problems with Rolph at the dog park as he cannot have fun without barking. This made other owners think he was aggressive and caused no end of issues.

I tried the sonic collar and it was totally and utterly useless. There are two types of spray collar. One which is sound activated and one which is remote controlled. With the RC one, you can use it as a training aid, telling the dog No Bark, the collar can issue a warning bleep with the second command and then, if it is needed, a quick burst of citronella with the third. Most dogs rarely need the third.

I only need to show one of the collars to Rolph now and he stops barking. Sometimes I put them on, but don't turn it on. It has the same effect. Clara barks less with the collar, but if she really wants to bark, she will and no squirt is going to stop her!

Since moving house I haven't used them at all, but that was one of the reasons for moving.

Sally with Rolph (I have a lovely big boy bark, what's the problem?) and Clara (I have a girlie bark, and nothing frightens me), UK