[Dailydrool] The power of drool and a Jane update

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Wed May 23 18:34:02 PDT 2012

I hesitate to crow too quickly about the good news we've been getting from the vet, because I suppose that things could change rather suddenly, but the last BUN and creatinine tests we had for Jane showed that her numbers are back to high normal. This has been a huge improvement, since the first test showed she was high, the second doubled those numbers, and the third came out above normal but not hugely so.

We have another test scheduled for Saturday, and I would like to ask the Drool hounds to sling the sticky stuff and ask the humans to pray that the numbers will remain good or even continue to improve.

Jane's appetite still has not wholly revived, so for the time being she will be taking Cerenia regularly. But even that combined with Prilosec has not gotten her appetite back to normal, so my vet is thinking there may be some other stomach issue. Her original tests showed that her colon was rather gassy. And of course the antibiotics that she's on may be aggravating her tummy too.

Her heart has been doing well, though the cardiologist stopped all medication because it interferes with the kidney problem. Jane may end up on another heart medication or on a much-reduced dose of her previous medicines. And we have another vet visit to determine the best arthritis medication for her.

I feel as if we've been living at the vet's office, but we have a reprieve for a couple of days on getting subQ fluids. Her normal bloodwork indicated that she didn't need them!

Even though she's not eating well, Jane is perkier than she had been. We are thankful for all the drool that has been slung her way so far. Just, please, keep it coming.
Pam, chief nurse to the Dashing Bassets, especially Jane