[Dailydrool] Noisey neighbor dogs

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed May 30 05:13:24 PDT 2012

I have to laugh at this topic this morning. I got up at 4:30. I let Llewis
and Conley out and they went out and came in. I do not feed until at LEAST
5:30, preferably 6, and the boys know this and just went back to sleep. At
5:20 Katie, who lives in back of me, let her two dogs out and they
(predictably) began screaming. This has been an issue for several years.
Because we have always, until recently, been over the Village limit for the
number of dogs, we have been desperately careful not to let the dogs bark,
to bring them in the INSTANT they start. We even put up a second fence to
keep the dogs from running the fence uncontrollably and fence fighting with
Oreo and Quincy, Katie's dogs. When my boys hear Katie's door open they
rush to our door, bellowing and whining to get out there and yell back.
This morning Katie's dogs began barking the second they got outside. Mine
rushed to our door, keening and moaning but I refused to let them out. At
6:30 John got up and I told him not to let the boys out.
Why?
Katie's dogs were STILL BARKING, and Oreo, a Border collie, has one of
those sharp, shrill, herding dog barks. (Cooper could do that do but didn't
do it often. It breaks your eardrum if you happened to be sitting next to
him when he did it.)
Does this annoy me? You bet. Does it annoy Roger who sometimes works until
3 or 4 in the morning? You bet. Does it bother Sara who is dying of cancer?
Yup.
Have people complained? OHyes. Once or twice I have called Katie and asked
her to bring her dogs in so I could let mine out. I am friends with Katie
and have never sicced the Cops on her but everyone else has. Something must
have been different this morning because for the past 6 mos or so Katie has
been religious about calling the dogs in when they are barking. I even
thought about calling to see if she were ok (she is frail). Which is a
backdoor method of telling someone to shut their damn dogs up!
You call and say Gee, are you ok? I heard the dogs barking and when you
didn't call them in I thought maybe something was wrong.
You have delivered two messages--you are a nice, concerned neighbor AND
shut the damn dogs up.
Works for me.
This morning I just shut the door and decided to let someone else do it.

MomPerson to Llewis (LEMME OUT), Nigel (I'd go out if I could) and Conley
(LEMME OUT)