[Dailydrool] We got the call

Chris Bly jbly1 at kc.rr.com
Thu Nov 1 14:02:51 PDT 2012

We get a call almost every day for an owner surrender dog and I wish we could take them all into rescue but we just cannot. If I ever win the Publishers Clearing house money or something like that I will buy a huge farm and take every Basset I can find in every shelter and I will also donate and help support all of the other Basset rescues.
Well, that will probably never happen and even though we get donations we keep taking in dogs and the funds dwindle quickly. Vet bills is our huge expense each time we get donations someone gets sick, needs teeth cleaned, cysts removed, it is always something in rescue.
Well yesterday we got a call from a man who had bought a Basset puppy about four weeks earlier because he always wanted one, he always had a dog but they had since all passed away, had recently retired and needed a companion, but now needed to give the puppy away.
The man had to give the puppy away because he just found out the reason he was getting so weak was he has stage four pancreatic cancer. He was entering Hospice House in a few days and he was so devastated.
He thought he was going to live the good life since he just retired from the job he had since he was 15 but instead he found out he had to give up his puppy and is about to die.
We could not help but take the pup so the man could be at peace with giving him away, knowing we would find him a great home. The puppy is a cutie but he has a cherry eye and it needs to be fixed does anyone have experience with this? It worries the heck out of me. My vet said he will fix it next Tuesday while he is being neutered and gave us an eye ointment to keep it calmed down, but it looks so bad I hope it will be okay till then. He does not act like he is in pain but I am sure he must be.
If anyone knows about this problem please email me.
Chris Bly
Western Missouri Basset Rescue, Inc.
http://wmbri.org