[Dailydrool] Belated 'Thank You's for Rosemary Condolences and question regarding Veronica

Joanne Coorlas jolet at aol.com
Sat Nov 3 17:44:33 PDT 2012

This is long overdue but I wanted to say thank you to all who posted or sent me e-mails or read and thought about us, when Rosemary died. I tried to respond to those that e-mailed me, I hope I didn't leave anyone out. Once the school year started and I went back to work, keeping up with the drools got difficult again, but I save them and am working my way through October now. Drool to all of those in need and others who have sent one to the bridge. It was so hard for me to write about Rosemary that night, and of course, I am blubbering now, but I can't tell you how much it meant to me. So many of us who have never met, but how bonded we all our by our love for our animals. And Clara's report on Rosemary's arrival made me feel so much better. I know she picked out a good bonnet, and that was eerily appropriate.  I hadn't had her that long, and my sister and I went into Marshall Field's here in the suburbs. We came across this little pet section that they must have opened temporarily because everything was marked down. There was a little dress (I know, bear with me) that was reversible gingham check-pink on one side, blue on the other with a collar trimmed with little appliquéd flowers, and ric-rac trim on the hem, with an attached sash that tied into a bow. It was beautiful and better made than some of my own clothes. And, here's the appalling part, reduced to $10.00 from EIGHTY-FIVE DOLLARS for a dress FOR A DOG! So, I brought it home, waited for Easter, and off Rosemary went to her grandma's house for dinner. She always looked a little pained at having anything put on her-pumpkin hat, Christmas jingly collars, but I swear she thought that dress was something special. So Clara's taking her to Bonnets and Bows just makes me believe.

Veronica is still hanging in there. She has her good days and bad. We went to the vet today and are going to try an oral bronchodilator for her gunky sounding cough, and a "neutraceutical" called azodyl for her kidneys. She still gets sub Q fluids, and if this helpful for anyone else, I just went down one needle size, it takes a little longer, but seems almost painless going in. My question is whether any one else who has dealt with kidney failure, has had any success with specific foods. She is just so picky, and continues to spit out things she tries and doesn't like. It's accompanied by a little "ptooh" sound and out comes the piece of bread or carrot stick, etc., followed by direct eye contact and a withering glare. So. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much,

Joanne
momma to Veronica ("How many times will it take before you understand what I will and won't eat?") and Rosemary (ATB and loving her bonnet)