[Dailydrool] Teaching respect and update on the war with squirrels

Trish S tlsclm2008 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 12 06:42:23 PST 2012

Hi, this is Harrison from Chicago chiming in. This is my first time writin to my friends at the Drool, thought I'd share my experience yesterday that I hope will bring a smile, as there's been so much bad news lately. Mom's been really bothered about poor Buddy and all the other hounds/humanfolk who's sick or sadly has gone to that "B" place (Mom doesn't let me say the word out loud-she keeps telling me I have to live to be the oldest-healthiest Basset in history, for she doesn't want to lose me).

Yesterday was my dreaded annual trip to Petco for my shots. As Mom has written before, I am NOT a dog or people person (bad past experiences, I'd rather not think about). Mom was so proud of me, I did really good, though we had to get out of line and stand to the side when I started getting stressed out. (Riding in the car is stressful enough, but she stopped and bought me a plain hamburger at McDonalds. The smell and taste took my mind off of things for 30 seconds). Anyhoo, while we were standing to the side, folks were admiring my cuteness and then it happened, two Mastiff puppies decided to get a little too close to me. Boy, did I let them have it. I shouted out my ahhhrooos for their disrespectfulness and you know what they did? I scared them so bad, they ran behind their owners legs! Mom was laughing inside that I could scare these huge puppies, while she apologized to the owner. He told us, it was good for they needed to start learning respect of
 other dogs. Here me a Basset teaching respect to a Mastiff, as it should be folks, as it should be!

On to those horrible retched squirrels, oh how I detest them. I keep trying to catch them, but my mom won't let me. She's always been a friend to them, something I will never be able to understand. I'm happy to report our block has seen a considerable amount of squirrel deaths. My arch enemy who lives downstairs was lucky and grabbed one who teases him (I'm so jealous) and then we had a suicidal squirrel who decided to chew our power lines. I love the smell of BBQ squirrel! We were without electricity for a few hours, but it was worth it. A couple have fallen out of trees and my mom found one injured in the road. Ready to be shocked? She couldn't bear the thought of it getting run over, so she carefully put it in a box and sat it under our porch so it'd be safe and have the chance to either heal or die peacefully. It was gone the next day. I'll never fully understand her, but she's my momma and I love her, faults and all.

Thanks for listening and drool to all of you!
Harrison B. Hound