[Dailydrool] Not drinking water

Sally Russell sally at slokr.com
Sat Nov 17 06:15:40 PST 2012

Our basset, Pixel age 12, developed optic neuritis and also has glaucoma in
her other eye. She was put on prednisone every other day for three weeks
and since she became blind, will not drink water.

Since she had pancreatitis two years ago, she has been on low fat canned WD
 with nonfat yogurt in the morning and breast of chicken and low sodium
broth with the WD in the evening. We give her 3/4  cup of water mixed in
each meal and I know the canned food also has water in it.

She was never a big water drinker, maybe going to her water bowl twice a
day.  She knows where it is because after she finishes eating, she will
walk across the room to inspect our other dog, Browser's,bowl to see if he
has left any food. She is a stable weight and not over or under weight.

The water bowl is picked up a half hour before and after meals but is in
the same place as Browser's bowl and she even "looks" at it at times. It
appears as if she has gotten her peripheral vision back since being on the
meds and we are so hoping for more vision.  We see the eye vet this week
again.

When the new eye problem began, we had her at our vet who did a senior
panel and x-rays of her abdomen and all were fine.  The eye vet confirmed
it is not glaucoma in the new troubled eye.  She cannot dilate her eye to
be sure it is not a retina problem as that could cause glaucoma.

We have tried floating treats in her water (she takes a few laps and gets
the treats, a little chicken broth in the water which she will not take and
even Pedialyte in her water)--nothing works.

Our vet is not concerned as her urine does not show dehydration and he
thinks she is getting enough water from her meals.

We are going crazy with this.  Anyone ever have a similar situation or any
ideas--all will be appreciated.

I apologize for the long post but no shorter way to describe this
situation..

Sally Russell