[Dailydrool] Parvo Outbreak

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 18 12:55:15 PST 2012

     Here is the deal with Parvo.  There is parvo at every dog show--every dog single show.  I was the president of the Pasco Florida Kennel Club--which is part owner of the Florida Classic Dog Show/Park in Brooksville, FL.  I have been at both indoor and outdoor shows and seen dogs have bloody blowouts in the ring.  In Lakeland, FL one year, a group of Chows owned by a particular woman all had bloody blowouts in the ring.  Her Chows all turned up positive for parvo and she was banned from AKC shows for 4 years for not vaccinating her dog.
    For good or bad, the latest trend for not vaccinating both dogs and children is creating more virulent strains of many common diseases the were once considered conquered.  I would consider vaccinating/ re-vaccinating any dogs that are frequently shown at this time.  But here is the deal with Parvo, Parvo primarily attacks the very young and the very old--either of which may have very poor immunity or have no resistance to disease.  Some dogs simply do not create antibodies no matter how many times they are vaccinated.  I know a finished champion doberman the got Parvo at 18 months old after a full series of puppies shots and adult boosters.  His body was simply incapable of setting up the proper immune defense through vaccination.  He survived and is now an old man with other health issues.
    There can be many variables in how or why an animal contracts Parvo.  There is even vaccine induced Parvo--see Fort Dodge which has been sued many times for corrupt vaccines including but not limed to parvo and RABIES!
    Another thing to consider is that the Aussie many have been vaccinated with either expired or inadequately stored vaccines.  Who knows?  If this is the only animal who contracted the virus at this show, I would say the problem lies with him.  If many dogs become ill then we have a WHOLE other problem.  But don't think that this is the only show in which parvo is present.  Every disease you can imagine is present and accounted for at every dog show but, luckily, most dogs have the immunity to resist most infection.
    On a heavier note, the vaccine resistant distemper that has been claiming many dogs in the last 3 years has been linked to raccoons.  Apparently, raccoons are carrying a more virulent form of the disease that they leave in their feces in our yards.  They are also carrying parasites in said feces that can be transmitted to humans and attack our lungs also through their feces.  This can be transmitted by sweeping up their feces, washing them off porches, or simply picking them up.  Face masks are highly recommended when dealing with their feces.
Marie Campbell
Man Plans ~ God Laughs