[Dailydrool] The Turkey Story

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Thu Nov 22 10:30:24 PST 2012

That story has become part of our Thanksgiving tradition. I bring it
along to read in the car at some point during our trip to spend the
holiday with Ken's cousins two states away. It's not only a very
funny story but also a reminder to that family holiday gatherings
aren't perfect. Something will probably go wrong, and when it does,
if we can turn it into a funny story to laugh about later on, we'll
weather it a lot better than if we allow it to upset us. This
Thanksgiving we're staying home so I can maybe get this four-week,
three-doctor, two-antibiotic sinus infection under control before my
cross-country trip next week to see a favorite aunt whose cancer is
finally starting to get the better of her. But I'll be reading The
Turkey Story at dinner tonight because now it wouldn't be
Thanksgiving without the turkey story.

And what am I thankful for? Many, many things, but the basset-related
one is that our Elsinore did manage to pass her pet therapy test the
second time she took it instead of putting me through that test four
times over two months like she did the last time she had to
recertify. It wasn't the prettiest pass in the world because she
wanted me to know she was too warm in the building (she did this by
being way too distracted by the dead leaves on the floor, thinking
they might be dropped treats, even though she'd already checked them
once, twice, thrice before). But it was a pass, and I don't have to
worry about going through this again with her for another two years.
For that I am very thankful indeed! Our Elsinore sure does make me
work for every test she passes.

Elizabeth