[Dailydrool] Eliminating on command and Thor's new attitude

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Tue Oct 9 07:17:48 PDT 2012

I am much amused by those who have trained their dogs to pee on command. I have had some success with this, but certainly you have outdone my pitiful training skills. I tell the hounds, "Do your business," then, according to what they need to do, "poops" or "peeps" or both together. Sometimes they react perfectly. Sometimes not. More than occasionally I stand in the cold or rain awaiting results. I think they just like staying out longer.

As to Thor's behavior, I think there is a simple explanation. Once a hound feels really at home and knows it will not be sent off to rescue or a shelter for misbehavior, the real fun starts in. Many years ago, Droolmeister Nancy Gallagher adopted Scooter Pie after losing Caruso. As long as he was a foster, Scooter Pie was perfectly behaved. But as soon as Nancy adopted him, he got into more trouble than she'd ever imagined. His antics filled the Drool pages.

Those of us who have fostered to adopt probably have had similar experiences. When a dog knows it's home and loved, it will do all those impish things it always wanted to do but feared would not bring approval. You won't return him, so he's safe. Who ever said bassets are stupid?
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets