[Dailydrool] Hiccups

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Wed Oct 10 07:57:59 PDT 2012

Our Elsinore and young Charlie get the hiccups occasionally (as
opposed to reverse sneezing, which they also have sometimes).
Whenever they start hiccuping, I get down right in their faces and
tell them very seriously, "Daisy is going to come back from the dead
and live here with you forever." Amazingly, it always works. They
stop hiccuping immediately.

Daisy was my parents' Jack Russell Terror, who might have been a good
dog if my mother (Dad died shortly after Daisy arrived) had bothered
to train her and keep her mind active and engaged during the very
long 12 years she was in the family. Not at all the right breed for
my sedentary parents, and she's the only dog I've not missed for a
single second since her death.

If someone told me convincingly enough that Daisy would return to be
with me for the rest of my life, I know that'd definitely be enough
to scare the hiccups out of me! The hounds never seemed to mind Daisy
all that much, so perhaps the thought of her coming back isn't as
effective on their hiccups as the thought of having to live with me
having to live with Daisy is!

Elizabeth