[Dailydrool] Talk to the dog

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Wed Oct 10 11:22:09 PDT 2012

I counted the words and phrases Sandi Wittenberg's dogs know (32) and am
envious and impressed and all my dogs are in a deep depression. However,
they did point out that Sandi's dogs apparently don't know any other
languages, while mine smugly remind me that they know a number of words
in German, Spanish and Censored. They also know the spelling of some
words, and even resorting to Pig Latin doesn't always fool them.

That being said, I still don't think dogs in general know quite as many
words as we humans imagine they do. A lot of what they understand or
"translate" has much to do with tone and body language. As an example,
we have two deaf dogs who respond just as quickly to verbal commands as
the others do. Much of the reason for this is that we humans are giving
off body signals that we generally aren't aware of, but the dogs are
very alert to posture, hand signals, even facial expression, not to
mention whatever you have in your hands (car keys, leash, biscuit, etc.)
in addition to awareness of time of day and general routine.

Words in print often don't convey what one meant. Most anyone on this
list knows how often statements are misinterpreted because they are just
words, with no accompanying smile, frown, hard stare or mischievous
glint in eye to assist with interpretation. When I started this thread,
it was meant to be humorous, not statistically correct. I know perfectly
well my dogs know more than the few words I listed, but I also know I
have a bad habit of speaking to or questioning them in long sentences
they do not grasp, as in "Does anyone here know who left the puddle in
the hallway?" Depending on HOW I ask, they either all continue sleeping
or all jump up and look guilty. I know perfectly well who left the
puddle, but no one else would know from the reactions. (And no, I don't
know why I even bother to ask...unless it's a sort of stress reliever).

Riche (educated but not the world's authority on all things dog)