[Dailydrool] Bassets and Sign Language

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Thu Oct 11 15:50:24 PDT 2012

Riche is absolutely correct . bassets (and most dogs) are very adept at sign
language/body language. That is how they communicate with each other most of
the time.  The cute little twitch of the tip of the tail can be a "come on,
make my day" to another dog.  The long stare . definitely trouble brewing.

But now a funny story.  My old dog, Morie, was stone deaf for the year
before he died.  My grandson, who was about 3 or so, LOVED Morie and
considered him HIS dog.  Grandson, Caleb, also had speech/hearing/language
problems so attended a pre-school for kids with similar problems.  One day,
Caleb was staying with me for the afternoon and was talking to Morie.  I
made a quick run to the bathroom . not more than 2 minutes . and I heard the
clanking of dog dishes.  I found Caleb pouring dog treats into a bowl that
he had placed in Morie's crate.  I asked Caleb why he was doing that.  He
told me that "Morie wanted a nack (snack)."  I told him that Morie had just
eaten, so he didn't need a snack.  Caleb proceeded to tell me that Morie
told him that he was hungry.  I acted surprised and asked Caleb, "Are you
sure?"  He said "YES" and got down in Morie's face and said "You are hungry,
aren't you Morie?".  I told Caleb that Morie was deaf.  He told me, "No he's
not . see he's bweeving (breathing)."  I kept a straight face, and I told
Caleb that Morie couldn't hear.  So Caleb, got down in Morie's face again
and YELLED "You are hungry, right Morie?".  I told Caleb that Morie couldn't
hear him no matter how loud he yelled.  Then Caleb sat there for a minute
and thought about it, then asked me "Namma, does Morie know how to sign?"
Needless to say, Morie got his 'nacks and I was reminded that kids are lots
smarter than adults sometimes.

Sandi Wittenberg

Red Bay Bassets